Donate to Keep Me Blogging and RabblerousingPlease don't make me go back to practicing law -- at least not until after November 6, 2012.
Angry Black Tweets
- William Weeks on The Jerry Sandusky Rape Case: The History of the PSU Cover-up, Part IV
- Victoria on The Jerry Sandusky Rape Case: The History of the PSU Cover-up, Part I
- Maurice11 on Is Candy Crowley Getting Paid For The Work She's Doing For Romney?
- vsmith on Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- princeofsoul on Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- Virginia Sanders on How to help in Wisconsin.
- Nikki on A white woman talks about black women’s hair.
- wes on ‘New’ Witness Claims #TrayvonMartin Attacked Zimmerman [updated]
- George Cantrell on Doug Lamborn (R-WATB) Boycotting the State of the Union
- Deisy Bach on One More Win in the Fight Against the War on Women™, in Arizona
Today's Popular Posts
- Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch Dead at 47
- ABLC has moved to The Raw Story. [updated!]
- ABL Talks About #TrayvonMartin on the AlterNet Radio Hour with Joshua Holland
- ABL on The Hal Sparks Radio Show Talking About Stuff and Things
- Arizona law would criminalize being an a-hole on the Intertrons
- No Justice, No Peace: I Attended the Minneapolis Rally for Trayvon Martin
- We who believe in freedom will not rest until it comes.
- Tweet of the Day — Current TV Edition
- Land Day in Israel/Palestine and Fridays with Billy.
- Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- Angry Black Reader Participation
- Celebrity Shenanigans
- Criminally Stupid
- Culture Critic
- Do The Right Thing
- International Shenanigans
- Lady Bits
- Legal Shenanigans
- LGBTQ Shenanigans
- Now That's Some Racist Bullsh*t
- Political Shenanigans
- Election 2012? Oy vey!
- Fox News Fvckery
- Libertarian Lunacy
- Obamacare? No, ObamaCares!
- Occupy Wall Street
- Orange Julius
- Our Pundits of Perpetual Disappointment
- Teabilly and GOP Mendacity
- War on Voting
- Read Me!
- Shits and Giggles
- Sports Shenanigans
- Tales and Tirades
- The Rest
- Weird Ass Shenanigans
Tagsabortion rights Angry Black Lady animals asshats Asshats on the Right Balloon Juice Barack Obama die in a fire Fox News fuckery gay stuff GOP Herman Cain hilarity Israel Jon Stewart kickass lady stuff legal mumbo jumbo LGBTQ Mitt Romney music no seriously that just happened Obama Palestine politics President Obama puritopians racism racist rape Republican primary Republicans Republicans are asshats Sarah Palin Teabillies Tea Party The Daily Show Twitter uterati videos weirdness women's health WTF!? YouTube
2010 Black Weblog Award Winner
Tag Archives: payroll tax
What does an oil pipeline through the middle of the United States have to do with payroll tax cuts?
Grasping for whatever leverage they can find in a tax battle with Democrats they’re sure to lose, and hoping to “sweeten the deal” for Teapublican House members weary of supporting any measure backed by the Obama Administration, Republican leaders have proposed speeding up the highly controversial Keystone XL pipeline project and eliminating some environmental protections as a lure to Republican lawmakers to get on board with a payroll tax cut extension affecting 98 percent of Americans.
As a dagger in the heart of Democrats, this is a beautifully repugnant example of partisan politics. As an incentive to the staunchly conservative, anti-everything Tea Party members in the lower chamber, it’s yet another sign of just how reliant Republican leaders are on the sanity of the opposition party when it comes to keeping government functioning.
“Talk is cheap,” House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) told reporters Friday, according to a report in The Hill.
When President Bush said the country was in trouble, Democrats responded in a bipartisan way. When the Republicans couldn’t keep government running without our help, they got our help. The second time they couldn’t keep government running without our help, we gave them our help. They couldn’t make sure that America paid its debts, paid its bills, (and) Democrats helped.
Democrats have shown — not just talked about it — have shown that we are prepared (to cross the aisle).
Considering that Republicans are the anti-tax party, you’d think a payroll tax cut would move swiftly through the House with a rubber stamp and a parade of worship for GOP lawmakers sticking up for American workers everywhere. Instead, the “Taxed Enough Already” caucus apparently wants to increase taxes on all but the rich.