Donate to Keep Me Blogging and RabblerousingPlease don't make me go back to practicing law -- at least not until after November 6, 2012.
Angry Black Tweets
- William Weeks on The Jerry Sandusky Rape Case: The History of the PSU Cover-up, Part IV
- Victoria on The Jerry Sandusky Rape Case: The History of the PSU Cover-up, Part I
- Maurice11 on Is Candy Crowley Getting Paid For The Work She's Doing For Romney?
- vsmith on Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- princeofsoul on Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- Virginia Sanders on How to help in Wisconsin.
- Nikki on A white woman talks about black women’s hair.
- wes on ‘New’ Witness Claims #TrayvonMartin Attacked Zimmerman [updated]
- George Cantrell on Doug Lamborn (R-WATB) Boycotting the State of the Union
- Deisy Bach on One More Win in the Fight Against the War on Women™, in Arizona
Today's Popular Posts
- Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch Dead at 47
- ABLC has moved to The Raw Story. [updated!]
- ABL Talks About #TrayvonMartin on the AlterNet Radio Hour with Joshua Holland
- ABL on The Hal Sparks Radio Show Talking About Stuff and Things
- Arizona law would criminalize being an a-hole on the Intertrons
- No Justice, No Peace: I Attended the Minneapolis Rally for Trayvon Martin
- We who believe in freedom will not rest until it comes.
- Tweet of the Day — Current TV Edition
- Land Day in Israel/Palestine and Fridays with Billy.
- Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- Angry Black Reader Participation
- Celebrity Shenanigans
- Criminally Stupid
- Culture Critic
- Do The Right Thing
- International Shenanigans
- Lady Bits
- Legal Shenanigans
- LGBTQ Shenanigans
- Now That's Some Racist Bullsh*t
- Political Shenanigans
- Election 2012? Oy vey!
- Fox News Fvckery
- Libertarian Lunacy
- Obamacare? No, ObamaCares!
- Occupy Wall Street
- Orange Julius
- Our Pundits of Perpetual Disappointment
- Teabilly and GOP Mendacity
- War on Voting
- Read Me!
- Shits and Giggles
- Sports Shenanigans
- Tales and Tirades
- The Rest
- Weird Ass Shenanigans
Tagsabortion rights Angry Black Lady animals asshats Asshats on the Right Balloon Juice Barack Obama die in a fire Fox News fuckery gay stuff GOP Herman Cain hilarity Israel Jon Stewart kickass lady stuff legal mumbo jumbo LGBTQ Mitt Romney music no seriously that just happened Obama Palestine politics President Obama puritopians racism racist rape Republican primary Republicans Republicans are asshats Sarah Palin Teabillies Tea Party The Daily Show Twitter uterati videos weirdness women's health WTF!? YouTube
2010 Black Weblog Award Winner
Tag Archives: 911
For me, in the middle of the country, there are only fourteen minutes until it is no longer 9/11, and I find I do not want to lose this day entirely to those who have stolen it in an endless cultivation of a cult of sorrow. It was actually Angry Black Lady who helped me finally get here, before the day was entirely gone, and I’m grateful — because I, too, lived that day, and have lived every day of the decade since. I, too, am still in mourning — and not because I am told to be, but because I am.
And so I’ve decided to re-up what I wrote two years ago, as I tried to remember that crystal-clear, blue-sky Tuesday and tried, as I will for the rest of my life, to make sense of it. Everything I wrote then is what I feel now, so here it is, again.
I want to write something today about what day it is, or, I suppose, about what day it was, 8 years ago. I don’t know what to write. I don’t know what to say.
I still, eight years later, do not know what to make of the attacks on September 11, 2001 — my heart and my head and my common sense and my fears and then my heart, again, all freeze up in the face of the enormity of it, in the sense-less, makes-no-sense, nature of it. The horror of individuals falling, rag dolls thrown, from windows, the horror of men climbing stairs, loaded, heavy, with equipment and mission, to their deaths, the horror of those whose horror we will never know, the office workers, housekeeping staff, corner-office executives who had a second — did they even have a second? — to know of their deaths, or had a handful of moments to hope for their lives and then came the roar that must have come, a deafening, howling roar, as the buildings began to collapse. The people on the planes, the people on the ground looking up, the flight attendants, the thank-god-I-got-to-work-early eager beavers, the police officers, the I’ll-call-mom-when-I-get-to-the-office forgetful kids. We’re all someone’s kid, aren’t we.
“Words like violence break the silence; come crashing in… into my little world.”
Each year on the days leading up to 9/11, I find myself getting frustrated at cable news and what I call “9/11 porn.” But then I wake up on September 11, ___ and I feel differently. Yes, I’m frustrated by the 9/11 porn, but it doesn’t matter. Today isn’t about that — it’s about something greater.
It’s not that I forget what happened that day, it’s just that I forget what happened that day. I can’t explain it any better than that.
So, as I sit here, tears streaming down my face, my thoughts go out to all who lost friends and family on September 11, 2001.
Eric Cantor Commemorates 9/11 by Insisting on 40% Cuts to Funds Used to Train and Equip First Responders
… plans to change name to Eric Luthor
As millions of Americans remember those who were lost on September 11, 2001 and celebrate those who emerged from 9/11 as heroes — those who died trying to save the lives of their colleagues and friends, and the first responders who rushed to Ground Zero without hesitation — Eric Cantor has other plans.
On Friday, President Obama requested for $5.1 billion to provide disaster relief to those affected by recent hurricanes and earthquakes — in Eric Cantor’s home state of Virginia no less — including $500 million for FEMA. Eric Cantor’s response? He plans to insist on offsets for the $500 million in emergency funds.
Problem is, those offsets are massive cuts to first responders:
First of all: Israel/Palestine heads have been talking about “September” as if it were something more substantive than the name of a month since last spring, when it became clear that the Palestinians would be going to the UN to ask for state recognition “in September.”
What is the Palestinians’ game plan for “September”? What does “September” mean for peace process (such as)? What will “September” mean for the nascent Israeli social justice movement? Will “September” mean an upsurge in violence? Like that.
But that’s not all that’s happening this month! Oh, it’ll be a busy one. Get out your scorecards!
This is bananas
A man twittering from Abbottabad, Pakistan, under the Twitter handle ReallyVirtual, seems to have unwittingly live-tweeted the raid which led to the assassination of Osama bin Laden.”
Relatedly, I’m in DC this evening, and suffice it to say, the city is going wild.
Enjoy the Silence
I just saw this video pop up on Agent Bedhead‘s twitter feed and I thought, “DUH. That’s what I should post to commemorate this day.”
I’ve been in heavy Depeche Mode this week, listening to old albums. (I don’t even consider Violator to be “old,” I’m talking Construction Time Again, Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, and Music for the Masses. I guess that’s because I’m old or something. Damn. I’m old? I guess so. When did that happen?)
I saw Depeche Mode’s Violator tour in Philly back in 1990. “Enjoy the Silence” is my favorite song on that album: It was then, and it is now.
So here is a video of Depeche Mode performing it on top of the World Trade Center: