Stop doing racist shit. Seriously. Please.
I tend to avoid calling people racist. I like to start with “That shit was racist.” But, when multiple interactions result in the same racist shit being lobbed at me, I jump off the HMS That Shit Was Racist and board the USS Yo Ass is Racist.
Here’s a short video explanation:
Dude has some good points, yeah? Still, to help navigate these muddy waters, I decided to tweeted some tips of my own. Take a look at this Chirpstory [which may disappear because Chirpstory is a fickle bitch]:
A lot of you “progressives” out there have a race problem. I know, I know, you don’t want to hear it. ”UNPOSSIBLE!,” you say. But you do. And the more you ignore it, the worse it’s going to get. So let’s talk about that for a moment.
Some of you say or do racist shit — like:
- “resenting” black Obama supporters; calling Obama supporters “Obamalovers”;
- lauding an op-ed from some crank (Westen) in which he brings his “medical training” to bear in a psychopolitical diagnosis of Obama and then tops that off with a bunch of factless bullshit; but who cares! It’s in the New York Times, dontcha know!
- repeatedly writing posts in which you claim to know what Obama really wants, or how he really feels, or why he’s really doing X, Y, or Z (aka Miss Cleo-ism);
- referring to Obama as “Wayne Brady,” or “gangsta,”;
- suggesting that Obama is less of a man, a pussy, spineless, testicle-less, and/or a puppetmaster to [insert white man, e.g., Rahm Emanuel or 99.9% of Republicans];
- implying or outright telling black folks or suggesting that black folks support Obama “no matter what” because he’s black;
- pointing out Obama policy positions with which you disagree, assuming black folks necessarily agree because they’re black — and, like, Obama is too lol! — and then making snarky comments like “But it’s okay if a black president does it”;
- assuming you know anything about the political persuasion of black people you’ve never met “If Obama were white, you wouldn’t be this supportive of his policies.”
- setting up twiggapuppets: Twitter accounts with photos of black folks as your avatar, with profiles that say stuff like “Chicago Gangsta Trippin in the Heezy Gin N Juice” and then pretending to speak from a black perspective — “Dang, yo! How come my homeboy Barry ain’t closed Gitmo yet?”
- pretending for the first time in your life that you’re really distraught about the state of the black community: Why is the unemployment rate so damn high? Oh my stars, there are so many black men in jail! I’m verrah concerned! “Ver ees Obama on dees?” [say it in a Greek accent, get Sheila Johnson to translate];
- telling black people to step outside their ethnicity in order to assess the President’s “effectiveness”
Yesterday, after multiple interactions with Anthony Noel, I called his ass racist based upon my personal interaction with him over a period of months. I think most people would agree that assessment is correct.
As for the folks referenced above (and we all know who they are), I don’t give a rat’s ass whether they are Racist or not. I don’t win a prize when I effectively label someone A Racist. I want them to stop harming this country and the people who live in it. That’s what I care about.
What I care about is that they have respect not only for this country, and for themselves, but also for their audience who has to listen to the Professional Left call out racism on the Republican side, knowing that the Professional Left knows or refuses to acknowledge that those same problems exist within themselves.
The clock is ticking and the train is moving along without you. You’re a small group of people with very loud mouths. But there are a lot of us who may not have the platforms you do, but by the hand of Thor, we’re going to make as much noise as possible where we can. On Twitter, on blogs, wherever. You can either further ensconce yourselves in your factions, or you can actually LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING TO YOU.
When you claim that it’s time for a Serious Conversation About Race and then continue to do nothing, know that with every moment that passes, I care less and less about anything that you have to say. You don’t get to say or do or write racist shit, entirely ignore it when people call you out about it, play the victim, and then pretend to want to have a conversation with me about anything. And you certainly don’t get to crow that my refusal to engage you is evidence of your victory.
It doesn’t work like that.
Look, I know that you can ride out a 4-8 year Bachmann presidency. I know you’ve got a nice job, and a nice health plan, and a nice 401k. But you know what? A lot of people don’t.
Think about that for once, would you?