- Excellent one-stop shopping post at Mother Jones, laying out the backstory and facts of the hearings: Peter King’s Radicalization Hearings, Explained.
- The House Committee on Homeland Security site – the bare structure of the hearings, including panel composition, and, not for nothing, their actual name: “The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community’s Response.”
- Adam Serwer’s excellent post explaining why the composition of the panels is part of the problem,”King’s Strategically Arranged Hearing Panels”: “The only Muslims on the third panel will be people prepared to parrot King’s unsubstantiated, negative views of Islam and American Muslims.”
- Adam Serwer’s excellent post on the inconsistencies in King’s approach to terrorism as a concept: “But How Does King Feel About Hamas?”: “If King applied his principles consistently, he’d be calling for the Obama administration to negotiate with Hamas.”
- Adams Serwer’s excellent post (are you picking up on a pattern here? But I digress) on the facts of Muslim assistance to law enforcement in dealing with terrorism threats, “Terror Plots Foiled With the Assistance of the American Muslim Community”: “Rep. Peter King of New York [has been] repeating the widely held fiction that American Muslims don’t do anything to fight terrorism. Here’s a list of terror plots that have been foiled with the assistance of the American Muslims.”
- The study to which Adam refers in his post, “A Tracking of Plots by Muslim and Non-Muslim Violent Extremists Against the United States”: “Muslim communities helped U.S. security officials to prevent over 4 out of every 10 Al-Qaeda plots threatening the United States since 9/11. Muslim communities helped law enforcement prevent three-quarters of all Al-Qaeda related plots threatening the U.S. since December 2009.”
- A study that finds that — just like in the Christian and Jewish communities — the more religiously active American Muslims are, the more likely they are to participate in civic life: “American Muslims Find Mosques Help Muslims Integrate into American Political Life.”
- My friend Dave von Ebers on the dangers of the constant drip-drip-drip of hate and dehumanization that goes beyond the events in Yorba Linda, and beyond high-profile Congressional hearings, and is simply part of some folks’ daily life: “The Consequences of Prejudice.”
- My earlier post with suggestions (including sample scripts and letters) for responding to the recent wave of Islamophobia, including the fact that a member of the US Congress is casting aspersions on an entire faith community.
- UPDATE: How could I have forgotten? Dean Obeidallah, a terrific Arab-American comedian best known probably for his appearances in the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour (which was outstanding, BTW), will be — and I am not making this up — live tweeting the hearings (!). He normally tweets at @deanofcomedy, but apparently during the hearings, he’ll be tweeting on the @whatunitesus account (the account associated with advocacy group WhatUnites.Us) — which is only right and meet, as what certainly unites us, on good days, is an ability to laugh at our all too human ridiculousness. And that’s what these hearings are: ridiculous. Check him/it out!
Donate to Keep Me Blogging and RabblerousingPlease don't make me go back to practicing law -- at least not until after November 6, 2012.
Angry Black Tweets
- William Weeks on The Jerry Sandusky Rape Case: The History of the PSU Cover-up, Part IV
- Victoria on The Jerry Sandusky Rape Case: The History of the PSU Cover-up, Part I
- Maurice11 on Is Candy Crowley Getting Paid For The Work She's Doing For Romney?
- vsmith on Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- princeofsoul on Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- Virginia Sanders on How to help in Wisconsin.
- Nikki on A white woman talks about black women’s hair.
- wes on ‘New’ Witness Claims #TrayvonMartin Attacked Zimmerman [updated]
- George Cantrell on Doug Lamborn (R-WATB) Boycotting the State of the Union
- Deisy Bach on One More Win in the Fight Against the War on Women™, in Arizona
Today's Popular Posts
- Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch Dead at 47
- ABLC has moved to The Raw Story. [updated!]
- ABL Talks About #TrayvonMartin on the AlterNet Radio Hour with Joshua Holland
- ABL on The Hal Sparks Radio Show Talking About Stuff and Things
- Arizona law would criminalize being an a-hole on the Intertrons
- No Justice, No Peace: I Attended the Minneapolis Rally for Trayvon Martin
- We who believe in freedom will not rest until it comes.
- Tweet of the Day — Current TV Edition
- Land Day in Israel/Palestine and Fridays with Billy.
- Anna Brown: 29-year-old Black Woman Dies in Jail After Being Dragged By Police Out of Hospital
- Angry Black Reader Participation
- Celebrity Shenanigans
- Criminally Stupid
- Culture Critic
- Do The Right Thing
- International Shenanigans
- Lady Bits
- Legal Shenanigans
- LGBTQ Shenanigans
- Now That's Some Racist Bullsh*t
- Political Shenanigans
- Election 2012? Oy vey!
- Fox News Fvckery
- Libertarian Lunacy
- Obamacare? No, ObamaCares!
- Occupy Wall Street
- Orange Julius
- Our Pundits of Perpetual Disappointment
- Teabilly and GOP Mendacity
- War on Voting
- Read Me!
- Shits and Giggles
- Sports Shenanigans
- Tales and Tirades
- The Rest
- Weird Ass Shenanigans
Tagsabortion rights Angry Black Lady animals asshats Asshats on the Right Balloon Juice Barack Obama die in a fire Fox News fuckery gay stuff GOP Herman Cain hilarity Israel Jon Stewart kickass lady stuff legal mumbo jumbo LGBTQ Mitt Romney music no seriously that just happened Obama Palestine politics President Obama puritopians racism racist rape Republican primary Republicans Republicans are asshats Sarah Palin Teabillies Tea Party The Daily Show Twitter uterati videos weirdness women's health WTF!? YouTube
2010 Black Weblog Award Winner